What drives the competitive advantage of any business, and in particular of the service industry? Simple, your people.
Your employees are your competitive advantage and knowing how to manage them and how to support their career development paths plays a critical role in your company’s profit.
Why should you develop your people?
As a manager it is your key role to tell people clearly what you are expecting them to do and how well they are doing it. Developing people and helping them contribute is one of the most relevant task of any manager within their organization.
How to do it?
Teaching your employees what to do and how to do it can be an easy and quick solution. However, this can lead to have your employees dependent on you and discourage any independent thinking. Just listening will help them to come up with new solutions, this can take quite some time and you may miss to give valuable input to your people.
So in any corporate situation you may probably choose to use a mix between Teaching and Listening, Coaching and Mentoring…Sometimes you will need to tell people first the clear and uncomfortable truth about their performance before you offer your support.
To develop people, preparation is essential. There is no “one-fits-all” methodology, when dealing with people there is no magic formula. Each individual is different however you can still benefit from answering to the following questions:
- What do you want to achieve?
- What will be the impact for you, your business and your people if you succeed?
- What did work for you when developing?
- What did you do in the past to develop your people?
- What were the results?
To develop people it is critical to gain evidence-based tools and techniques to manage individual and organizational performance, as well as your own personal influence as a leader. Covering the following topics will be relevant:
- Assessing and Identifying Talents: What are the tools and techniques useful to identify talented people and how to apply them? What are the effective practices for assessing talents? What is the role of a strong organizational culture in talents attraction? How to develop effective strategies to assess talents within your organization? How to draw relevant documents used in talents’ assessment?
- People Management: How to analyze approaches, methods and tools to manage individual and organizational performance? What are the critical success factors and the main obstacles to effective people management? What are your personal areas of improvement concerning people management and leadership skills? How to implement effective methods for human capital acquisition and selection, training and development? How to develop effective performance appraisal and rewarding strategies? How to adapt your people management approaches, styles and tools to current work situations and future career prospects?
- The Employee Journey: How to evaluate best evidence-based approaches to personnel attraction, selection, development and retention? How to identify your personal areas of improvement regarding individual and organizational value branding?How to analyse the role of human resources on a company operations within different sectors? How to implement human resource management methods aimed at attracting, selecting, developing and retaining talent successfully? How to develop effective rewarding strategies? How to apply effective human resource strategies aiming at both individual and organizational growth?
- Developing Trustworthy leadership: How to define trustworthy leadership? How to identify the reasons behind the struggle many leaders experience in building trustworthy relationships with their followers? How to create a trustworthy work environment? How to develop strategies to build a trustworthy work environment? How to measure the performance of trustworthy leadership? What are the methods to build trustworthy relationships through effective communication skills and emotional intelligence?
- Key to Personal Effectiveness: What is the importance of perception in our relationship with others? What are the four basic colour energies and the characteristics associated with each? What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of each colour? How to recognize the different personalities you deal with in the daily operations of your organization? How to improve our ability to adapt and to connect with others? What are efficient strategies to communicate, influence and negotiate with other professionals in your industry?